3/14/17 Meeting Notes
GUEST SPEAKER – Allen Bialik from AFB Media Marketing
Everybody’s doing graphics (or _______ ) …what makes you different as an individual?
- Knock on doors, but be prepared with ten questions.
How we look and present ourselves is all a part of communicating.
“Top 10 Things I’ve Learned in my Life”- Presentation title
- Managed the first company that released the first newspaper with Sunday comics in color
- Operations Management guy- learned training and forecasting
- Managed staff, developing, budgets, hiring/firing, human resources/appraise, customer service group
It starts in Operations.
- Took the Sunday comics. Developed them so instead of it being a cost, it had to be revenue. Created advertising to wrap it in. “What’s the next step to generate revenue?”
- Would colorize the original art from the artists of people who created things like Garfield, comic books for Marvel, etc…
Sales & Marketing
- Got into sales because of the diversity.
- Loooong client list
“If you’ve got contacts, keep pounding on them. Keep in touch.”
Started his own company in 2008: AFB Media.
85% of what’s purchased in the U.S. is purchased by women. But the men are the ones trying to advertise to them. Result? Does not resonate.
- Someone out there is talking about you- so talk back.
- “Change” the way people do business
- Social media is more about retaining customers
- Ambassadors of the brand
- Find ways to reward and recognize customers
- Interacting with customers creates a human behind the brand
“What have I learned?”
- Education has NOTHING to do with performance
- In school you’re taught a lesson, then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.
- Problem solve quickly and creatively: adapt to change
- Leadership, attitude, commitment, discipline
- Responsibility and accountability for job performance
- Leadership is an essential part of life
- Discipline is doing what needs to be done. Even when you don’t want to do it.
- Life is dull to dull people
#1 trait you need to be successful: COMMUNICATION
#2: PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS
#3: UNDERSTAND THE ORGANIZATION
Mary Clanton Stratton- spent 50 years of her life getting women the right to vote.